SELLING YOUR HOME
Preparing and Marketing your unique home isn't as easy as sliced bread. Market know-how goes a long way but understanding pricing, condition, staging existing furniture, and VALUED Relationships with other agents ALL can make or break your home selling at the highest price possible. Don't be left behind and here at TATULLI REALTY GROUP, INC. we promise to make every effort possible to ensure your unique home sells for the best price in the timeframe that best suits your needs. Not everyone desires their home to sell sooner than later, especially when there are factors that dictate needing coordination and specific timing, say for a RELOCATION. We make it our top priority to work within the boundaries of your personal timeline and keeping in mind your unique priorities.
PRICING YOUR HOME
When selling in a Flat Market (stable market) ALWAYS position your product LESS than your Current Competition. You might be able to position your product 2% to 4% above the average recent sales (usually within 3-6 months), but let your agent advise you.
When selling in a BUYERS Market (declining market or markets with higher than normal competing inventory) position your product at or slightly below recent sales, but ALWAYS slightly less than the average of the lowest similar homes currently for sale on the market. When there are only a few buyers you MUST get the serious buyers to look at your home first!
When selling in a Sellers Market (rising market and one with lower than average inventory) position your product 5% to 10% above recent sales (within 3-6 months) - But, if you need a fast sale, ALWAYS price slightly less than your competition. If time is on your side, you can price slightly higher because the market will eventually catch up to your asking price.
6 REASONS WHY FSBO's (For Sale By Owner) NEED A REALTOR®
1. WE CAN SELL YOUR HOME FOR MORE MONEY.
According to the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS® profile of home buyers and sellers, the typical FOR SALE BY OWNER home sold for $145,000 compared to $175,000 for a sales agent assisted home. This means that even if the FOR SALE BY OWNER pays a 6% commission, they will realize $164,500 rather than the prior of $145,000. Keep in mind if potential buyers have agent representation that require a commission, that final $145,000 will be reduced even more, regardless.
2. WE ARE MORE FAMILIAR WITH COMPLETEING THE MANY CONTRACTS, FORMS AND DISCLOSURES REQUIRED IN A REAL ESTATE TRANSACTIONS.
Some of the forms needed to properly complete a transaction include but arent limited to the lead paint disclosure statement, property condition disclosure statement, purchase agreement, legal description of the property, contingency clause addendums, etc. etc. Again according to the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS® profile of home buyers and sellers, difficulty with paperwork was one of the biggest problems FOR SALE BY OWNERS had in selling their homes. This can also bring about law suits as well.
3. WE HAVE THE MARKET KNOWLEDGE TO PRICE YOUR HOME COMPETITIVELY.
FOR SALE BY OWNERS may know what one or two of the homes near them sold for, but they dont have the access to the wide number of comps we do or the market knowledge to adjust prices when necessary. Again, according to the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS® profile of home buyers and sellers report, setting the right price was the third most difficult problem FOR SALE BY OWNERS had in selling their homes.
4. WE CAN BE OBJECTIVE, HANDLE CRITICISM OF THE HOUSE AND FOCUS ON HOW WELL THE HOME SUITS THE BUYER.
All home owners have emotional attachments to their homes and will emphasize the features they consider most desirable during the showing. However, as a trained professional agent, we are more attuned to the Buyers needs and able to hilight the homes features that have the most appeal to each individual buyer.
5. WE CAN ASSESS A BUYERS ABILITY TO AFFORD THE PROPERTY AND HELP THEM LOCATE THE BEST PLACES FOR OBTAINING FINANCING.
Often buyers, especially inexperienced ones, rely on real estate professionals to help them find suitable financing. We have the experience in helping buyers locate lenders and select the propert loan. We are also more experienced in not just pre-qualifying but pre-approving buyers so they dont make offers on homes they actually cant afford.
6. WE GET THE TRANSACTION CLOSED.
Many FOR SALE BY OWNERS think that once the purchase agreement is signed, their work is over. On the contrary, agreeing on a pruchase price is the easiest part of any sale. To get the deal completed and closed ON TIME a Real Estate agent participates in the home inspection, water sampling, radon and/or well flow testing, building permits, termite inspections, survey, appraisal along with coordinating all of this among the home owner, purchaser, closing agent or attorney and mortgage company. You hire a professional for legal advice or when youre sick, then why not hire one to sell one of the largest investments one can make?
90 DAY PERSONALIZED MARKETING PLAN
1. You get a FOR SALE sign posted on your property.
2. You get a lock box installed for your convenience and safety.
3. Your home is posted in the Lynchburg Multiple Listing Service (MLS).
4. Property information flyers are attached to the for sale sign for drive by Buyers.
5. Personalized MORTGAGE flyers provide buyers with lending options.
6. A minimum of 15 photos are taken to show off your property AND we use the latest technology including Drone imagery.
7. Your home will begin to be marketed on the web via Zillow.
8. Your home will then be marketed on the CRAIGS LIST®, TWITTER®, & TRULIA.COM®
9. Broker open house or public open house as needed.
10. We utilize all the latest social media platforms to get your home in front of as many Buyers as possible. Facebook, Instagram, Zillow, etc.
11. Your provided with personalized HOME enhanced For Sale flyers to keep in your home so prospective buyers can take them during showings.
12. 7 days a week Licensed REALTOR® support throughout the entire sales process.
13. You can get a Comparative Market Analysis (CMA) to ensure your home is priced accordingly.
14. Most of all you get MY PERSONAL SERVICE COMMITMENT in giving you the best service I can.
7 TERMS TO LOOK FOR IN A PURCHASE CONTRACT
1. The Closing Date: See if the date the buyer wants to take title is reasonable for you.
2. Date of Possession: See if the date the buyer wants to move in is reasonable for you.
3. Earnest Money Deposit: Look for larger earnest money deposits; since it can be forfeited if the buyer decides to back out, a large deposit is usually a good indication of a serious buyer.
4. Fixtures and personal property: Check out the list of items the buyer is expecting to remain with the home and be sure its acceptable.
5. Repairs: Determine what the requested repairs will cost and whether youre willing to do the work or would rather lower your price by the amount. (usually done after a home inspection and doesnt include cosmetic items.)
6. Contingencies: See what other factors the buyer wants met before the contract is finalized. Inspections, selling a home, obtaining a mortgage, review of the contract by an attorney are all examples of contingencies. Look to set time limits on contingencies so your transaction won't drag on forever.
7. Contract Expiration: See how long you have to respond or make a decision on the offer.
10 WAYS TO MAKE YOUR HOME MORE SELLABLE
1. Get rid of clutter. Throw out or file stacks of newspapers and magazines. Pack away most of your small decorative items. Store out of season clothes to make closets roomier. Clean that garage.
2. Wash your windows and screens to let in more natural light to the interior.
3. Keep everything clean. Wash fingerprints from light switch plates. mop and wax floors. Clean the stove and fridge. A clean house makes a better first impression and convinces buyers the home has been well cared for.
4. Get rid of smells. Cleaning carpets and drapes to eliminate cooking odors, smoke and pet smells. Open the windows.
5. Put higher wattage bulbs in light sockets to make rooms seem brighter, especially basements and other naturally dark rooms. replace any bulbs that are burnt out.
6. Make minor repairs that can create a bad impression. Small problems such as sticky doors, torn screens, cracked caulking or a dripping faucet may seem trivial, but they'll give buyers the impression that the home is not well maintained.
7. Tidy your yard. Cut the grass, rake leaves, trim bushes and edge walks. Put a pot or 2 of bright flowers near the entryway.
8. Patch holes in your driveway and reapply sealant if applicable.
9. Clean your gutters.
10. Polish your front door knob and house numbers.
7 STEPS TO PREPARING FOR AN OPEN HOUSE
1. Hire a cleaning service. A spotless home is essential. Dirt will turn off a prospective buyer faster than anything.
2. Mow your lawn and be sure toys and yard equipment are put away.
3. Serve cookies, coffee and soft drinks. It creates a welcoming touch. Be sure your kitchen has been cleaned up. Use disposable cups so your sink doesnt fill up.
4. Lock up your valuables, jewelry and money. Although the Real Estate agent will be on site its impossible to watch everyone all the time.
5. Turn on all the lights, even in closets. Even in the day time. Incandescent lights add sparkle.
6. Send your pets to a neighbor or take them outside. If thats not possible, crate them or confine them to one room (a basement or bath), and let the sales person know where to find them.
7. Leave. Its awkward for prospective buyers to look in your closets and express their opinions about your home with you present.
10 WAYS TO MAKE YOUR HOME IRRESISTABLE AT OPEN HOUSES
1. Put fresh or silk flowers in the principle rooms to add a touch of color.
2. Add a new shower curtain, fresh towels and new guest soaps in every bath.
3. Set out Pot Pourri or fresh baked goods to give that homey aroma. (Baked apples is always pleasing)
4. Set the table with pretty dishes and candles.
5. Buy a fresh door mat with a clever saying.
6. Take one or two major pieces of furniture out of every room to create a sense of spaciousness if at all possible.
7. Put away small kitchen appliances and personal bathroom items to give the illusion of more counter space.
8. Light a fire in the fire place. Or put out a basket of flowers there if its not in use.
9. Depersonalize the rooms by putting away family photos, mementos, and distictive artwork.
10. Turn on the sprinklers for 20-30 minutes to allow the lawn to sparkle.
23 LOW COST WAYS TO SPRUCE UP YOUR HOME
Make your home more appealing to Buyers with these quick and easy tips
1. Trim bushes so they dont block windows and/or cut down on natural light.
2. Buy a new door mat.
3. Put a pot of bright flowers (or a small evergreen if its winter) on your porch or step.
4. Put new door knobs on doors and make sure the doorbell works.
5. Put a fresh coating on your existing driveway.
6. Mow and weed the lawn, edge around trees and walk ways.
7. Outside ground covering or seasonal flowers will add a personal touch.
8. Replace or repair cracked window panes and torn screens.
9. Buy a new mailbox.
10. Have outside lighting on timers to ensure house is illuminated after sunset.
11. Replace burnt out light bulbs with warm incandecent bulbs for that homey feeling.
12. Polish or replace/upgrade your house numbers.
13. Touch up trim paint on doors, window frames and fascia. Repair chipped plaster.
14. Put out pot pourri and/or burn scented candles. (especially during showings)
15. Buy new pillows for the sofa and new towels for the bathroom racks.
16. Buy a flowering plant and put it in the window you pass by frequently.
17. Make a center piece for your table of fruit or artificial flowers.
18. Replace heavy curtains with sheer ones that let in more natural light.
19. Fences should be mended and/or painted if need be.
20. Put a seasonal wreath on your front door.
21. Have your gutters cleaned and your eaves and downspouts in good repair.
22. Adding inexpensive but nice looking bath/sink fixtures can be a big improvement.
23. If room colors are loud or off beat, white/light pastels make a room appear larger.
5 THINGS TO DO BEFORE YOU SELL
1. Get estimates from a reliable repair person on items that need to be replaced soon (usually within 1 year) , such as the roof, or worn carpeting. In this way, Buyers will have a better idea of how much these needed repairs will effect their costs.
2. Have a termite inspection done to prove to Buyers that the property is not infested. Youre required to once you have a ratified contract regardless.
3. Get a pre-sale home inspection so you will be able to make repairs before Buyers see them.
4. Gather warranties and gurantees on the furnace, appliances, and other itmes that will convey with the house.
5. Fill out a disclosure form provided by your sales associate. This will safe guard you from any liabilities on you after the sale.
5 THINGS TO SPEED UP YOUR SALE
1. Price it right. Set a price at the lower end of your properties realistic price range.
2. Get your home market ready for at least 2 weeks prior to showing it.
3. Be flexible about showings. Its often disruptive to have a house ready to show on the spur of the moment, but the more often someone can see your home, the sooner you will find a seller.
4. Be ready for the offers. Decide in advance what price and terms you will find acceptable.
5. Dont refuse to drop the price. If your home has been on the market for more than 30 days without an offer, be prepared to lower your asking price.
10 TIPS FOR HOLDING A YARD SALE
Hold a yard sale to reduce the clutter in your home and get rid of items you don't want to move not to mention make extra cash to buy things for your new house.
1. Check with your city/town government to see if you require a permit or license.
2. See if neighbors want to participate and have a Block sale to attract more visitors.
3. Advertise. Put an ad in the free or local classifieds and put up signs and balloons at major intersections and in stores near your home. Utilize social media platforms. Facebook is a FREE tool to advertise.
4. Price items ahead of time and attach prices with removable stickers. Remember, yard sales are supposed to be bargains so dont try to over price significant items.
5. Check items before sale to be sure you havent included something you want by mistake.
6. Keep your pets away from your yard sale.
7. Display everything neatly and individually so customers dont have to dig through boxes.
8. Have an electrical outlet outside so buyers can test things that use electricity.
9. Have plenty of bags and newspaper for wrapping fragile items.
10. Get enough change and always keep a close eye on your cash.